At saturday 18 November 2000, we visit the game against Huddersfield Town.

In 1992/93 Rangers finished fifth in their first season in the new Premier League. Les Ferdinand hit 20 League goals and was called up to the England squad along with David Bardsley.

Since 1996/97 Rangers are playing in the Second Division.Queens Park Rangers were formed in the year 1882 by the old boys of Droop Street Board School. The boys were members of the St. Jude's Institute as they used this as the club headquarters, and in the early days were known as St. Judes.
They obtained the name of Queens Park Rangers when they merged with a team called Christchurch Rangers in 1886. They called themselves Queens Park Rangers because most of the players came from the district of Queens Park.

In 1892 QPR won their first Cup - The West London Observer Cup, beating Fulham 3-2 in the final. QPR won it again the next two years.

In 1894/95 QPR won the London Cup, and also entered the FA Cup for the first time.

QPR turned professional on December 28th 1898, to stop their players going to other clubs, and applied for permission to join the Southern League. They played their first professional League match on 9th September at Tottenham and lost 1-0. They won their first professional match on 16th September 1899 by beating New Brompton. Turnbul scored QPR's first goal in competitive League football. They finished eighth in the League, and reached the Second Round of the FA Cup before losing to Millwall.

Because of poor finances, QPR had to move to St. Quintin's Avenue in 1901. Players had to change in a public house and walk to the pitch. The inhabitants of the area complained that QPR were lowering the tone of the neighbourhood and in 1902 QPR moved back to Kensal Rise!  In 1904/05 they moved to The Royal Agricultural Society Ground at Park Royal which could hold 40,000 spectators.

In 1905/06 QPR won the Western League Cup, but in 1906/07 they finished in 18th place out of 20 in the Southern League.

In 1907/08 QPR moved to another new ground at Park Royal, capable of holding 60,000 spectators. They won the Southern League for the first time. At the end of the season they met Manchester United for the first Charity Shield match. They drew 1-2 - but lost the replay 4-0.

In 1911/12 QPR won the Southern League for the second time - this time against Blackburn Rovers.

In 1923/24 they received a then record fee for a player when they sold Arthur Chandler to Leicester for 3,000. However, they finished the season at the bottom of the table with 31 points from 42 matches and had to apply for re-election.

In 1947/48 they reached the Sixth Round of the Cup before losing to Derby after a replay, and on 26th April 1948 won promotion for the first time to the Second Division.

In 1966/67 QPR won Division Three with 67 points. In the same year they also became the first Third Division side to win the League Cup, beating West Bromwich Albion 3-2 at Wembley after being 2-0 down at half-time.

In 1967/68 QPR were promoted to the First Division for the first time by finished second in the table.

In 1975/76 QPR were Division One Runners-up - one point behind Liverpool.

In 1976/77 QPR reached the UEFA Cup Quarter Finals at their first attempt, and reached the Semi Final of the Football League Cup.

In the 1985/86 season QPR were defeated finalists in the Milk Cup competition at Wembley.

In 1987/88 QPR finished fifth in the First Division, having for some months been top of the table. In April the artificial playing surface was removed after seven seasons, and was replaced by natural grass.

Loftus Road
ATTENDANCE: 11,543 (Incl. 2 Dutchmen from Gouda)

1 - 1
Connolly 30               Gallen 8

For Terriers fans, Gallen went from hero to villain as he spurned the chance to win Huddersfield their second victory in 18 games when goalkeeper Ludek Miklosko palmed away his late spot-kick.  For their part, relieved Rangers, themselves winless in nine matches, could have few complaints about their draw. Lou Macari's men started with necessary urgency and Gallen gave the troubled Terriers the lead with an overhead kick that gave Miklosko no chance in his first start of the season. But the division's bottom side quickly came under siege, and promptly collapsed on the half-hour mark. Cannily played a one two of sorts in midfield with Peter Crouch, then confidently swept the ball home for his fourth of the season. The goal ignited Rangers as they took control either side of half time. On 41 minutes Paul Peschisolido forced a fine save from

Vanes with a stinging 20 yard shot and from the resulting corner Karl Ready headed Chorister Warren's kick against the post.
On 56 minutes Richard Llanelli's low drive was superbly saved by the keeper, then Cannily had aseemingly certain goal kicked off  the line by Huddersfield full-back Steve Jerkins. Galleons chance to make the headlines for the right reason came on 72 minutes after Simian Baldly went down in the box, but Mukluks saved at full stretch.

back to the index page